Wednesday 15 April 2009

Jack and Joseph's birth story

Jack and Joseph were born by elective c-section on July 5th 2005. It was a largely positive experience, with the exception of some aspects of the subsequent hospital stay, and I feel it was the right birth experience for both my welfare and theirs.

Ben's birth story to follow. It has been almost 18 months and I still haven't been able to bring myself to write it, though I can remember every tiny detail. I thought starting with this could give me a nudge in the right direction. Who knows, it might be cathartic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At my 34 week growth scan, both the babies were breech and the obstetrician booked me in for an elective section on July 5th assuring me that ‘it’s very unlikely they’ll move now’. Two weeks later and a further scan shows twin one is now head down so a second obstetrician changes my section to an induction on July 6th. A final check up on the 4th of July revealed (I don’t know why I was suprised!) that yes, once again, both babies were breech! At this stage a THIRD obstetrician advised me that I would probably be waiting another week before I could get a section date. As it happened, the hospital managed to get back my original date of July 5th. I had my bloods done and went home, knowing that in 24 hours I would have my babies and feeling totally unprepared!

Ryan and I arrived at the maternity hospital at 7.45am. The anaesthetist who would be doing my spinal went through a few things with me and then a very seasoned midwife checked my blood pressure and checked the babies heartbeats on a little portable scanner. Twin two appeared to be sleeping but twin one could be seen blinking and opening his mouth. It was hard to believe in a few hours they would be more than just that little black and white image.

We were taken up to the ward to wait and told that I should have delivered my babies by late morning. As it happened my section was delayed several times due to some ‘problems’ in theatre. By this point the nervousness had worn off some and three days of no sleep were taking their toll. I fell asleep on the bed while Ryan sat reading various newspapers. At 1pm I had a drip set up (I didn’t much care for the canula!) since I had been on nil by mouth since 10pm the previous night.
At 3pm a midwife suddenly appeared and said they were ready for me. After the wait it all seemed very sudden and I got prepped for theatre in a bit of a daze. I was very quiet on the walk down and the midwife repeatedly asked if I was ok. It was cold in the operating room and I couldn’t stop shaking, though I think it was partly through nervousness. I was led in wrapped in my dressing gown, shivering and clutching my drip.

A very uncomfortable bp cuff was put round my left arm and Ryan was sent away to get his scrubs on and wait for me to have the spinal. That was a strange experience. The anaesthetist told me to sit on the edge of the bed and announced it would feel ‘very cold’ on my back, which it did! A few minutes later (well, probably not that long in reality!) I was told it was all done and to lie down. To my suprise, my legs were already starting to feel heavy! They tested to check that the spinal was working well…it was! I was numb from the top of my chest down within a matter of minutes. Not being able to lift my legs was very odd. I started to get worried by now as it was nearly 15 minutes and Ryan still hadn’t been brought back. They were about the make the first incision. I asked and was told he was on his way.

The actual operation was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life. I’ve never had any sort of surgery before, never mind whilst being awake! My view was blocked my the screen but Ryan had a first hand view of everything. I could vaguely see in the lights above me but it was mostly just a red blur. I was a little jealous and would have liked to see, but they thought it best I didn’t! I had forgotten to bring my camera down which I was a bit annoyed about. I did however hear my waters being suctioned and saw blood spraying onto the lights above me!
After a lot of tugging and pulling and pushing on the top of my tummy (I could see them going to work on me – there is nothing gentle about a c-section delivery!) twin one, a boy, was pulled into the world at 15.41pm. Jack William. Two minutes later – though it seemed much longer – his brother, Joseph Eoin was pulled equally violently out of his comfortable dwellings. Both boys weighed in at 5lb 14oz. I cuddled Jack whilst they stitched me up and Daddy cuddled Joseph.

I remember there being a huge concave just below my ribs at this point and a part of my mind was preoccupied with the fear that it would never go back to normal for a while!

When they were nearly finished with me the little ones were put into an incubator as they were having a few problems keeping warm, and taken through to recovery with their Daddy. We had our first shot at breastfeeding, which went well. Jack latched on and sucked like a pro, but Joseph was still a bit cold and sleepy, so was syringe fed 7mls of colostrum since I didn’t want him to be given formula.

After two hours we were moved up to the ward where grandparents got their first brief visits. I felt on top of the world until my mum asked if I was alright, at which point I realised I felt terrible and was about to be sick! Everyone left and I was given a chance to relax, though to be honest I can’t really remember the rest of the night.

We were allowed home from hospital after 5 days, with Jack weighing in at 5lb 7oz and Joseph at 5lb 8oz. They are very slightly jaundiced.

The sproglets are a week old today and, although they are hard work, everything is going well. Breastfeeding is very successful thus far and as soon as I have a feeding pillow, I should be able to start feeding them together to save a bit of time. Two hourly feeds are a bit exhausting during the night with two babies. Other than that, they are absolutely adorable and me and their Daddy love them both to bits.

No comments: